Old Bristolians is the Rugby Club associated with Bristol Grammar School (BGS).
The Club's 1st XV plays its rugby in Western Counties North. In 2009/10 we won and were promoted from Gloucester One and also won the Combination Cup. In 2011, we were then promoted from G1 to WCN, a league in which we finished fourth in 2015/16; again winning the Combination Cup.
Our 2nd XV won their league in 2009/10, again in 2011 and were again promoted in 2015/16 so currently ply their trade in Tribute Somerset 1.
Our 3rd XV sit in Tribute Somerset 3 North and we consider ourselves unusual to have such a strong set of teams - all playing in good leagues.
We also run a very good Vets team and have arguably the best junior and minis section in the area.
Defined by a refreshingly open style of both rugby and lack of politics or pretensions in the clubhouse, we welcome all players - being ex-grammar school is not a requirement.
We drink regularly in many pubs across Clifton, so if you fancy coming along to training or just joining in on the social side of rugby don't hesitate to get in touch.
Bristol Grammar School
BGS was founded in 1532 by two brothers, Robert and Nicholas Thorne, when it was housed in the St Bartholomew's Hospital, as part of the new founding of schools after Henry VIII's closure of the monasteries, where previously a large proportion of England's education had occurred. The school motto Ex Spinis Uvas, which translates as "From Thorns Grapes", is a play upon the names of the school founders Robert and Nicholas Thorne.